Thursday, January 17, 2013

ILM shows off the special effects of The Avengers

It turns out that not many critics enjoyed my favorite film of 2012. As I said in my Top 10 Films of 2012, I put The Avengers at #1 because it represented the most entertainment value for my dollar than any other film I saw in 2012.

Its outstanding visuals were a major part of the fun. It looked exactly like a big-budget blockbuster should with great set and character designs, cool action sequences, and destruction on a massive scale. Say what you will about the impracticalities of the Helicarrier, that thing looked pretty sweet taking off out of the water and flying around in the sky.

The Avengers earned one measly Academy Award nomination this year. I wasn't exactly expecting a Best Supporting Actress nomination for Scarlett Johansson no matter how much I enjoyed her performance, but I thought the film might receive a few more nominations on the technical side.

Anyway, Industrial Light and Magic put together a "For Your Consideration" sizzle reel to highlight their work on the film. Check it out.


It's pretty cool to see how much detail went in to the design of every element of the film. Every component of the Helicarrier was engineered and fit into place. The Hulk transformation was a thing of beauty. The ending fight sequence had so many moving parts on screen that it is impossible to keep track of it all. There is a lot of fun stuff in that 4-minute video to awe over.

This is the sort of behind-the-scenes film industry stuff I like to see. The artistic vision to dream up these things, and the technical brilliance to bring it to life, blow my mind.

I hope that The Avengers brings home the Oscar on February 24. It would be nice to see that hard work rewarded with some hardware.

Do you care that physics dictates that the Helicarrier could never work, or do you think it looks too cool to care? Let me know in the comments below or on Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment