Saturday, December 17, 2011

99¢ Review: The Muppets


I watch a lot of movies (Check out my list of movies seen in 2011), but I don’t always have the time to write up a full review. Instead, I thought I would start up a new column where I give you the discount version of the review. What’s good, what’s bad, if it’s worth your time.

The Movie: The Muppets


The Good: The Muppets are back!, fun songs, cute characters, heartfelt story

The Bad: Those not familiar with The Muppet Show might not get all of the jokes

I love the Muppets. I literally grew up with the Muppets. The first theatrical film, The Muppet Movie, came out in 1979, the year in which I was born. When I was in elementary school, I would watch reruns of The Muppet Show on a little 13-inch tv at my grandparents house while waiting for my parents to get off work and pick me up. It was a quirky show with wild and crazy characters, each of them doing fun, often really smart things. It was just a lot of fun. I enjoyed the movies when they came, although I got a little disappointed when they stopped doing original films and started adapting classic literature. When The Muppets was announced and described as an original story, it instantly became my most anticipated film of 2011.

I’m glad to say that the movie surpassed my lofty expectations.

The basic premise of the film is that The Muppets must reunite for a benefit show to save their old studio from an evil oil tycoon who seeks to tear it down and drill for oil. The first 1/3 of the movie introduces us to Walter, the newest of the Muppets, his brother Gary (Jason Segel*), and Gary’s girlfriend Mary (Amy Adams). Gary and Mary are heading to Los Angeles to celebrate ten years of dating, and super-Muppet-fan Walter comes along so he can visit The Muppet Studios.  While at the studio, Walter uncovers the nefarious plot of Tex Richman, which sets the trio off on an adventure to save the studio. The middle 1/3 of the film is dedicated to reuniting The Muppets, who went off to do their own things when The Muppet Show ended. The final 1/3 of the film shows The Muppets efforts to put on one more great show to raise the funds to buy back the studio.

This is a real Muppets movie with all the fun songs, great jokes (yes, even the bad ones from Fozzie are great), adorable characters, and heartfelt and witty story that you expect from them. There’s plenty of humor for the kids, fun things for the adults, and just enough absurdity to make you smile and shake your head.

Anyone who is a fan of The Muppets Show will have a blast. Those who are not familiar with The Muppet Show, however, might not get the full experience out of it. There are so many winks and nods to the original show, that a lot of things might be missed. Don’t let a lack of prior knowledge of the original show dissuade you though. The Muppets is still a fun time, even if you don’t know any of the Muppets characters.

The Muppets represents what a fun time at the movie theater should be. There’s tons of laughter, tons of heart, lots of singing and dancing. It’s pure fun and is guaranteed to put you in a good mood.

4.5 out of 5 stars

* Segal not only stars as one of the human characters in the film, he also co-wrote and executive produced the film. Clearly, this was an important film for him. All that positive energy has paid off in a film that captures the tone of The Muppets characters and The Muppet Show perfectly. Good job Jason!

No comments:

Post a Comment