Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Hobbit Soundtrack Online Early


The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey opens in theaters on December 14 in 2D, 3D, 48 frame-per-second 3D (a high frame-rate format intended to enhance the 3D experience), and IMAX 3D. You’ll have lots of options for watching Bilbo Baggins and the 13 dwarves (and Gandalf the Grey!) begin their quest to rid the dwarfish homeland under The Lonely Mountain of the dragon Smaug.

The film, of course, is directed by Peter Jackson and involves many of the same crew and cast from the Lord of the Rings trilogy.


One of the best things about the three Lord of the Rings films were the scores from Howard Shore. The scores fit those films perfectly and were one of the key components to building a cohesive world in Middle Earth. Shore is back with the conductor’s baton for The Hobbit trilogy, and fans of his are in for a real treat.

The entire score for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is available online right now through Empire. If you like what you hear, you can pick up the regular or special edition (which has 4 extra tracks) of the soundtrack on December 11.

Full disclosure: I actually haven’t listened to the soundtrack yet. Since sound and music are large parts of the film viewing experience for me, I don’t want to risk spoiling the film by hearing the score first. Also, I find that the names of tracks can often give away parts of the film. I don’t think Shore, Jackson, and company would spoil the film with names on the soundtrack, but, just in case, I’m taking the safest option available and avoiding it until after I see the movie.

Still, it’s a cool opportunity to listen to the soundtrack before it hits the market. I understand from those that have heard it that the score is very good, and I wanted to pass it along to the three of you who might read my blog.

If you take a listen and like what you hear, let me know in the comments below or on Twitter.



No comments:

Post a Comment